I’m not gonna lie. I’m a little afraid to show you what’s lurking inside my refrigerator. There could possibly be a half eaten sandwich or a cut up tomato I forgot about rotting somewhere in the black abyss. It wouldn’t be the first time I found something on the verge of growing legs and walking by itself, and I sure as heck know it won’t be the last.
I started a series of posts on what to stock your kitchen with now that you have thrown out everything you previously bought that didn’t fit within the rules of real food. If you missed it, you can take a peek into my pantry and see what I stock it with. Today we are going to snoop inside my real food refrigerator and freezer. Enter at your own risk.
In the fridge
- Fruit-grapes, pineapple, apples, blueberries, strawberries, lemons, oranges, roma tomatoes and grape tomatoes (tomatoes are actually a fruit!).
- Vegetables-spinach, romaine lettuce, kale, spring mix, cucumbers (both large and small), red, yellow and orange bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, ginger, turmeric, celery, cauliflower, yellow squash, zucchini and carrots.
- Grains-(Always refrigerate after opening) whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, almond flour, and spelt flour.
- Seeds: Flax seeds (whole and ground), chia seeds, and quinoa.
- Almond milk (both store bought and homemade almond milk)
- Condiments-yellow mustard, dijon mustard, ketchup, vegan mayo (NOT real food), hot sauce (hubs likes things spicy!), organic tamari, organic vegan Worcestershire sauce, sesame oil, red curry paste and low-sodium veggie broth.
- Dairy-organic mozzarella cheese (buy in blocks-not already shredded), organic butter (best to find grass fed butter or Ghee)
- Garden of Life kids probiotics
- Organic hummus
- Peanut/almond butter (homemade), sunflower butter, strawberry jelly.
- Ezekiel brand english muffins
- Organic pastured eggs
- Coconut milk yogurt-unsweetened
- 100% maple syrup
- Organic salsa
- Vegan cream cheese (NOT a real food, but I’ll replace once I find a suitable recipe to replace it with)
- Homemade elderberry syrup (to combat colds and flu).
- Brita filtered water
In the freezer
- Ezekiel brand english muffins (extra package)
- Ezekiel raisin bread
- Parsley cubes (I froze parsley that was starting to go bad to add to my green smoothies)
- Muffins-blender peanut butter muffins and banana chia muffins.
- Homemade “unmeatballs”
- Pureed crookneck pumpkin
- Green Vibrance
- Soaked almonds (for making almond milk)
- Homemade veggie burgers
- Pastured chicken drumsticks
- Blueberries and strawberries
- Whole bananas (peeled and frozen)
- Applegate Farms turkey lunch meat (for occasional lunches)
- Organic pizza crusts
- Ian’s chicken nuggets (for fast dinners when mama needs a night off)
- Leftover juice pulp from juicing (to make homemade veggie broth)
On my counter
- 3 bunches of bananas, package of dates, garlic, 3 avocados and organic whole grain bread.
There you have it! Hope you enjoyed the tour of my fridge and freezer. Remember, the best real food fridge and freezer is one that is overflowing with fruits and vegetables. Let the other items serve as condiments to your meals.
Also, check out my favorite real food snack ideas.
Until next time, keep it real.