I am a lover of green smoothies and always looking for ways to use different greens. Cause ya know, we should all be rotating our greens on a weekly basis. So when I had some leftover chard in the house from making mac n cheese, I used the remaining greens for a smoothie the next morning. Quick, easy and ever so yummy!
Chard is a relatively “non-green” tasting green anyways, but paired with the sweetness of mangoes, banana, and a date…the taste disappears. The chia, hemp, and flax seeds add a bit of “power” to the smoothie that can easily classify this as a meal replacement if you choose to keep the whole thing to yourself. Hey, who am I to judge? My son came up with the “mango mash” name and, well, I went with it. Cause that’s what you do when an 8 year old gives you green smoothie name ideas.
- 2 cups water
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1 T hemp seeds
- 1 T flax seeds (use whole flax if using a high power blender)
- 2 leaves of chard, stems removed
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- ½ cucumber (peeled if not organic)
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ chunk of ginger (leave peel on if using a high powered blender
- 1 round slice of lemon (leave pith on)
- 1 pitted date
- Add all the ingredients to the blender in the order they are listed.
- Blend for 1 minute
Until next time, keep it real.