It’s chili time of year, y’all. And you know what that means, dontcha? Cornbread. Sweet, sweet cornbread sitting along side of that piping hot bowl of chili. But none of that silly Jiffy boxed kind of cornbread. No, no no…you know better by now! We’ve got no room for that nonsense in our real food kitchens! When cornbread is this easy to make, you’ve got no excuses.
I love the original recipe’s taste. However, I wanted to cut down the oil a bit and swap out a few ingredients for more real food friendly ones. After a few attempts, a little tweaking here and there, I finally perfected this recipe and got a thumbs up from the fam. It now permanently earns a place in my meal plan rotation.
- 1½ cups corn flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 flax egg (1 T ground flax seeds + 3 T water)
- 1 cup cold water
- ¼ cup neutral flavored oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together your flax and water and let sit 10 minutes to gel up.
- In large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- In small bowl, mix together the remaining wet ingredients minus the flax egg.
- Slowly combine the liquids with the dry ingredients.
- Add the flax egg and mix until just combined.
- Pour into a parchment lined 8x8 pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Eat this cornbread along side a hot bowl of chili or with pulled pork and coleslaw.
What’s your favorite cold weather dish?
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and tag us @realfood_life, or hashtag it #realfoodlife. I’d love to see what you make!
Until next time, keep it real.